At Classic Acrylics, Inc. we provided Jostens® with a stylish, well-designed, and lightweight solution for a series of portable product displays. Jostens is a well-known brand of academic and achievement products for the K-12 educational, college, and professional sports markets.
The travel sales team at Jostens requested portable product displays with an upscale, brushed aluminum look. However, the previous vendor supplied them with prototypes that happened to be too heavy to conveniently carry around. With our expertise in plastic materials, they approached us to develop a lighter weight solution while retaining the original design intent.
We provided them with several alternatives, but one of our prototypes particularly caught the attention of the sales team. We constructed it using a thin sheet of brushed aluminum laminated to white Sintra® board, which is a lightweight, rigid, and durable expanded PVC material. They admired how the two elements appeared as one solid piece to provide a visually appealing, contemporary solution for showcasing their products.
When compared to the all-aluminum version, our mixed-material prototype surpassed it in all aspects of quality and durability. In addition to weighing much less, it also cost significantly less than the aluminum fabricated option. The example highlighted here features dimensions of 24.0″ in length x 12.0″ in width x 8.0″ in height, and the look we obtained by using alternative materials became the basis for several different parts to give the sales staff more options. We manufacture these product displays on a regular basis in small to mid-sized volumes.
Jostens Product Displays Project Specifications
- Project Name & Description
- Product Displays - Jostens
- Capabilities Applied / Processes
- Design engineering, laminating two materials together, outside the box thinking, part sourcing, CNC programming, CNC machining, gluing / fabrication, packaging
- Equipment Used to Manufacture Part
- CNC Machine, solvent welds, engineering programs: Solidworks, CADCAM
- Overall Part Dimensions
- Tightest Tolerances
- Material Used
- White Sintra, brushed aluminum chemical
- Material Finish
- White and aluminum
- Industry for Use
- Traveling sales
- In Process Testing / Inspection Performed
- Check all tolerances before each step in fabrication
- Prototype and various orders 20-1000
- Delivery / Turnaround Time
- 3-4 weeks
- Delivery Location
- Jostens headquarters
- Standards Met
- .005 tolerance, white and aluminum look